When most people start an exercise program, they are usually looking to burn fat and blast away calories and they think the best way to do that is cardiovascular activity. Cardio activity certainly is an essential part of any exercise program but be sure not to forget the benefits of an additional strength training program. Toning and building lean muscle is important for both men and women at every age. Below are just some of the benefits of strength training/weight lifting on a regularly basis:
1. Increased Metabolic Rate - A higher metabolic rate burns more calories throughout the day.
2. Increasing and Restoring Bone Density - Inactivity and aging can lead to a decrease in bone density and brittleness. Studies have clearly proven that consistent strength training can increase bone density and prevent Osteoporosis.
3. Injury Prevention - A wide variety of sports-related or life-related injuries can be prevented by strengthening muscles and joints.
4. Improved Balance, Flexibility, Mobility and Stability - Stronger and more resilient muscles improves our balance, which means fewer falls and accidents.
5. Decreased Risk of Coronary Disease - Your heart is the most important muscle in your body and strengthening it will decrease cholesterol and lower your blood pressure.
6. Aids Rehabilitation and Recovery - One of the best ways to heal many types of injuries is to strengthen muscles surrounding the injured area. The stronger your muscles, the quicker the healing process.
7. Enhanced Performance in Sports or Exercise - Performance in every sport and exercise can unquestionably be improved with increase muscle strength and stability.
8. Feeling Better and Looking Better - After a good solid work-out, you will feel satisfied and better about yourself. Stronger muscles and joints can have a dramatic impact on posture and leaner toned muscles tend to make everyone feel better about their appearance. This all leads to improved self-esteem and increased self-confidence.