Established in Cambridge by world rackets champion H.J. Gray in 1855, Grays is positioned as an elite performance line that supplies quality sports equipment, specifically for racquets, cricket and hockey. The company is family-owned and has remained that way to this day, currently operating as the 5th generation and will continue to do so for years to come.
Grays continues to develop its composite range of field hockey sticks for every level of the game. How? Hi-tech fibers specifically formulated in deliberate directions and areas of the handle, blade and toe provide every model own unique qualities. The features of these sticks include:
- The most advanced thermographite technology to ensure perfect balance and stability
- High performance and durability
- Multi-directional fiber matrix construction
- Handcrafted handle design
Twin Tube Construction
- Offers a strengthening wall that augments build and improves on-field ability
- Composed of a unique contour that adds protection against the detriment of synthetic fields
- Provides extra reinforcement for "Low Backhand Zone’
What is the Low Backhand Zone?
The Low Backhand Zone, or ‘LBZ’, is an area of the shaft that is toughened with fiberglass to allow shots to be made with the edge of the stick. Without this reinforcement, sticks will deteriorate rapidly if these types of shots are used often.
Energy Reduction Handle (ERH)
- Created to reduce the shock from impact transferred from the stick into the player.
- Constructed with a thermo rubber sleeve that wraps around the handle to help reduce and soften it, which allows the player to improve control and feel during hitting and receiving, resulting in an overall better first touch on the ball.
- Designed and shaped with a curve lower down the blade to help generate "drag flick" momentum and created improved "reach zone" over which the ball can be dribbled.
What is a "drag flick"?
A "drag flick" refers to a scoring technique that is primarily used on penalty corners to take lifted shots on goal. This technique does not entail any form of backswing, but rather, a push. This is the only type of shot that is permitted to be lifted off the ground on a penalty corner with the intention of scoring.
- Contains a precise curve positioned mid blade to give players a combination of high level technical skills and the opportunity to create excellent drag flick techniques.
- Designed for players at all levels who want extra control when dribbling as well as the ability to lift the ball more easily when drag flicking.
- Constructed specifically with a "scooped out" curve shape through the head of the stick for great control at full speed.
Improved Feel Area (IFA)
- Absorbs the initial impact of the ball with the surface of the stick head and creates a softer touch.
- Constructed with shock absorbing fibers that better first-touch control and improves the feel of the stick
- Powerbeam Technology stabilizes hitting speed through increased power with reduced effort
- Anti-Torque Technology maximizes hitting speed using advanced spine down the rear of the blade
- Improved Feel Area makes stopping control easier and more consistent
- Constructed with two directional powerveins and fiber matrix that resist torsional flex
- Carbon Nano Tubes in the resin mix supplemented by Grays' composite fiber matrix construction improve sticks performance
CranBarry also accommodates players who prefer traditional wooden sticks versus composite. Gray’s sticks offer durable head construction that allows for increased control when dribbling and receiving the ball.
Back to all Field Hockey Sticks